Saturday, February 27, 2010

O Canada!

My (hopefully soon to be) home and native land...

I could go on with the rest of the national anthem, but I'll spare you. If you're really interested, go Google it or something. However, partly due to the spirit of the 2010 Olympics, Canada has been on my mind quite a bit. No, not because I want the United States to beat this northern country in every sport to try to prove some hardcore American patriotism. Quite the opposite, actually. And no, I'm not hoping that Canada is going to destroy the United States and whatnot. I do, however, think that people, namely Americans, should stop having such an extreme sense of nationalism and realize that maybe, just maybe, there are other countries that are just as super awesome. Yep, I'm talking about Canada. It is time that Canada is seen as more than just America's hat.

Okay, I lied a little bit earlier. Canada is not just "as super awesome" as the United States...It's WAAAAAAAY more awesome. Look, I'm not some traitor or America-hater. Go Team USA, but go Team Canada even more. When Canada and USA played their qualifying game in the Olympics, I was cheering for Canada. Apparently this was not allowed. My support of Canada was mistaken for being against the United States. I was actually taken aback by how strongly they rejected my support for Canada. I have (almost) no hard feelings against old Uncle Sam, but maybe things are greener on the other side of the border.

Reason Number 1: The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is so much more wonderful, if no other reason than you can see it better. Well, I don't think I have ever seen the falls from New York, only from Canada, but still. General consensus is that to truly experience this beautiful natural creation, you should pack your passport and head on up north.

Reason Number 2: Canada is the motherland of one of the greatest sports, and my latest obsession: ice hockey. According to Wikipedia, there is evidence of hockey-like games being played way back when in Eastern Canada. In the mid 19th century, reports have been found describing the game of hockey being played on ice. Halifax and Kingston are home to the first recorded hockey games that took place in the mid-1850s, and students at McGill University in the 1870s created the first known set of rules. Being the birthplace of this wonderful sport, it is no surprise that Canada has produced many of the best hockey players in the world, which leads me to my next reason.

Reason Number 3: My three dream future husbands are from Canada, two of which are hockey players. I know, this is really weird and sketchy, but bear with me. Playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets are two very talented players who are from, you guessed it, Canada. Antoine Vermette and Derick Brassard, native Canadians, came to Ohio to play some hockey. Thank you, Canada! I can't forget the third man, though. Actor Michael Cera is from Brampton, Ontario. Alright, so even though I'm never going to ever meet any of these guys, the data trends are clear. My true future husband, who ever that may be, is more than likely going to be from Canada. Empirical evidence, you guys.

Reason Number 4: How often do you hear about Canada in the news? With the exception of Americans driving up there to get their prescriptions filled and whatnot, Canada has remained pretty under the radar. Everyone and everything there is just so chill and relaxed. Canada gets major points for electing to remain out of the Iraq War. The United States definitely should take a couple of hints from our border partner. Wikipedia also tells us that Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson proposed the United Nations Peacekeeping Force, which continues to work today. Additionally, Canada has one of the lowest national debts. Probably because they don't get too involved in all these militaristic endeavors...but let's not get into that now.

Reason Number 5: I'm not just saying this next reason because I'm a young college kid. Promise. Throughout Canada, the drinking age is either 18 or 19, depending on the province or territory. Everybody knows both sides of the debate on drinking age in the US, so I'll just leave it at that. But I do believe there is no reason the US should keep the drinking age up at 21. Again, let's take a hint from Canada and maybe doing things right.

Reason Number 6: Blue Rodeo. You've probably never heard of them. See, I'm probably the only person under the age of 40 who listens to this music group which is from, well, Canada. I am forever grateful to my dad for listening to Blue Rodeo while I was growing up, because I have turned into a huge listener. Check them out at www.bluerodeo.com

Basically, go Canada. That's really all I have left to say. This beautiful country just seems to have it, whatever 'it' is, right. With the Olympic gold medal game tomorrow between US and Canada, you probably can guess for who I am going to be rooting. If the United States wins, of course that's wonderful, but I am wholeheartedly cheering for Canada. And when they (hopefully) win, I will stand up and sing the rest of the national anthem with the Canadian hockey team. O Canada...

No comments:

Post a Comment