Sunday, January 3, 2010

Transcontinental

I've never been a huge fan of inspirational quotes. Sure they're all in good meaning, but they're all also a little cliche. However, I hypocritically find myself thinking about three quotes in particular. The first one is from the critically acclaimed television series Gossip Girl. Whenever Chuck Bass says "...I'm Chuck Bass", any and all of his actions have a legitimate reason. Do it to it, Chuck. The second quote comes from one of, if not the, wisest men to ever live in both the wizarding world and the muggle world. Albus Dumbledore, while talking to Harry Potter, says, "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities". The third and final quote comes from a much older guy and is the cause for my current brianstorm.

St. Augustine once said, "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page". Now, I don't really know much about this guy, but he seems like a pretty intellectual fellow. I mean, he's a saint, right? So he must be all important and shit and know what he's talking about. Regardless, St. Augustine spoke the words that have evolved into the theme, motto, and goal of my life. Let's hope this guy knows what he's talking about, because I'm living by his words, and his words say this: a person really knows nothing until he or she ventures into the unknown. By remaining in the same place for an entire lifetime, you sit and stare at the table of contents, which only lists everything that is available to be explored in the world and not the invigorating details that comprise this beautifully complex world. It's peering through the window of Coldstone Creamery and surveying the available mix ins and various concoctions without stepping inside to indulge. Now if that's not a tease, then I don't know what is...

In my childhood, and still today, I know that I have been more than blessed to have experienced as much as the world as I have, to have been able to read the amount of pages in this book St. Augustine speaks of that I have. But I'm still not satisfied. My one true passion is packing my bags, getting on a plane, and flying to a country to which I have never before experienced. I want to learn about the world by simply being there. I strive to become a true world citizen, understanding as many cultures outside of the uninspiring one of the United States. I want other people to realize the importance of leaving comfort and stepping into another land, realizing that the world is bigger than one's own self.

There is a video on YouTube of a man in countries all across the world doing a simple little dance called "Where The Hell Is Matt?". Basically, this guy is living the freaking dream. This guy, Matt, left his job and used up all his savings to travel around Asia. Then he decided to just do this stupid little dance in every country he visited, recorded it, and put it on YouTube. The video eventually reached the gum company Stride who said it would pay him to travel around the world and just dance. So he did. If you're interested, here's his website which goes into a lot more detail. (Sorry for the excessive hyperlinks. I just figured out how to do them on here! Super exciting.)

So here's the thing. I want to be Matt. I want to live his life. I want to travel the world and have that be my job. And maybe I can write about what I see while I'm abroad, having my pen dance across the paper describing the same terrain on which Matt dances his little jig. Furthermore, I want everyone else to have the desire and curiosity to see what is beyond the United States borders besides for a waterfall up north and bikini clad spring breakers down south. Get up and out and go somewhere. Hell, even if you don't leave the country, take a road trip to some state you've never been to. Or just be like one of my good friends, who travels all corners of the globe every night, compliments of Google Earth. One of these days, I know she will more than see these countries on her computer screen. She'll see them and breathe them and live them. I can only hope that more people find this same yearning to explore. Go out and read this damn book that St. Augustine wants you to. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment